How do I know if my Asset is an “Extension Asset” which requires a Per-Seat license?


  • I am about to submit an Asset and would like to know about the ‘Extension Asset’ category.
  • I need to know if my Asset submission falls in the ‘Extension Asset’ category.


When you submit your Asset, you are able to choose its category.

Depending on the type of Asset you are submitting, some categories may not appear.


If your Asset is an editor extension, scripting tool or a service, then your package will fall into the ‘Extension Asset’ category. 

An “Editor Extension” is a package that allows the user to extend the editor with custom inspectors and Editor Windows and you can define how properties are displayed in the inspector with custom Property Drawers.

“Scripting”, is a tool within the unity editor which assists you in developing your scripts. E.g. ‘Playmaker’ is a visual scripting tool and would fall into this category. 

A “Service”, is anything that’s integrated but delivered as a separate service on top of the engine. Services are used to engage, retain and monetize audiences.

If your package falls into any of these categories then your Asset is defined as an ‘Extension Asset’ and will require one license per seat.

More information:

What does 'Extension Asset' one license per seat' mean?

What does 'Multi Entity' & 'Single Entity' mean?

Was this article helpful?
1 out of 1 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request


  • 0
    Mikael Högström

    Unity, please don't allow per seat licenses on assets that need to be committed to source control. Since you don't offer any way to track license this makes it very hard for enterprise customers to deal with this.

  • 0
    Liam Kane

    Looking around the various pages here, there are lots of quite ambiguous answers and responses to answers.

    Taking for granted that I abide by 'Per-Seat' restriction, can I use Assets with 'Extension License' commercially? I ask because I notice that the Standard Assets Package, almost all 'Free', and many Paid Assets use the same license. As does the Karting Microgame, and an assortment of other resources that in theory are for educational purposes.

    The above makes the wording in the EULA a little unclear for me.

    Not asking for helpful hints or tips on why I might or might not want to, but rather a hard, legal, yes or no. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.