- I want to run Unity on Windows, but it crashes on startup
- I have upgraded to Windows 10. I am using the latest version of the Unity Editor, but I receive an error stating "Unity Editor has stopped working"
You have upgraded your machine to Windows 10 and you have finished installing the latest version of Unity on your machine. Your Editor crashes on startup with a popup window from Windows showing the following error message:
If you are using the Unity 5.2 64-bit installation, third party proxy integration can crash Unity at the Project Browser.
Firstly, please check if you have any of the following third party software installed on your machine:
- Lavasoft Ad-Aware Web Companion
- OpenCandy (Windows computers can come with these pre-installed)
- Nahimic drivers
- Astrill VPN or similar
You will need to make sure these software programs are disabled. Then to fix this error:
- Downloaded the latest version of Unity here and select to install just the editor in the drop down menu.
- Opening Unity from the command line as described here.
If the information above does not solve your issues, please create a crash dump file and send in a bug report.
To create a crash dump file:
When Unity crashes and you get "Unity Editor has stopped working" dialog, do not press "Close program", instead:
Open Task Manager
Go to Details
Find Unity.exe and right click on this file
Click Create dump file.
This will create a dump file. You can then open the Bug Reporter and attach the dump file to the report.
Please note that creating a dump file might take several seconds, depending on your hard drive speed.
For more information on submitting a bug report then see this article here